A place where students belong . . . fostering social and communication skills.
Village Glen School is an innovative, multidisciplinary and unique therapeutic day school specifically designed for children with challenges in the areas of socialization, communicative and pragmatic language development, and peer relations. Many of the students served at Village Glen experience special needs associated with Asperger’s Disorder, high functioning autism, anxiety-related disorders, and non-verbal learning disabilities.
Recognizing the strengths, challenges, and natural talents of each student, Village Glen promotes social and personal well-being and strong academic achievement. Village Glen has developed a unique framework emphasizing social skills development that synthesizes and integrates the best practices currently available in the field. This framework has been recognized as a model of excellence.
To complement the core curriculum, Village Glen’s Pace Program is available for students with superior intellectual capabilities. Pace provides creative, individualized, advanced classes that maximize each student’s potential.
Village Glen’s kindergarten through 12th grade program offers a highly structured and varied curriculum in conjunction with a wide range of clinical services.
The program features:
- Small class size
- Teacher/student ratio of at least 1:6
- Gifted and talented educational curriculum
- Multiple instructional strategies
- Emphasis on social communication/pragmatic language development
- Daily social skills training classes
- Social development integrated throughout the curriculum and extracurricular activities
- Course of study leading to high school diploma
- Preparation for college or vocational programs
- Dual enrollment opportunities at local public schools and community colleges
- Speech and language therapy, counseling, adaptive physical education, and occupational therapy
- Individual, family, and group therapy
- Elective programs including art, music, drama, computer science, Spanish, French, physical education, and athletics
Village Glen School is located in Sherman Oaks and Culver City. Its state-of-the-art education campuses include: computer learning centers, science labs, creative and performing arts centers, athletic and play areas, and student stores.
Village Glen School is dedicated to serving students of average to gifted cognitive abilities with challenges in social and communication skills. A unique aspect of the Village Glen teaching model is that it includes the direct, didactic teaching of social skills, as well as the integration of these social skills throughout a comprehensive academic curriculum based on the California State Framework and remediation of basic skills. The Village Glen program utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to promote language development, social interactions, emotional growth and independent life skills. We believe in addressing the whole child and, thereby, facilitating his or her development into productive, creative, content and successful members of society.